The Forest Practices Authority administers Forest Practices Plans (FPPs) within Tasmania.
Forest Practices Plans must be in accordance with the Forest Practices Code, which provides guidelines and standards designed to ensure reasonable protection of the natural and cultural values of the forest when forest practices are undertaken.
To help make management decisions about the management of private tree farms the Forest Practices Authority has put together some information that guides landholders and applicants through the forest practice plan process.
Forest practices include:
- harvesting and regenerating native forest
- harvesting and/or establishing plantations
- clearing forests for other purposes
- clearing and conversion of threatened native vegetation
- constructing roads and quarries for the above purposes
- harvesting tree ferns.